The existing Georgian building was built in 1827 on the site of the old Ship Inn, and was called the Rose & Crown. The Ship Inn is believed to date from the 1600s and the original inn yard and outbuildings still remain. The inn was renamed ‘The Crown’ about 1860; at that time the owner was a Mrs Mary Leaper. William Matthew Suddaby became proprietor in 1879 and his wife Adelaide took over the business in 1887, until 1909. After that the business was owned by William M Suddaby, and from 1933 his son Robert Arthur. Robert’s grandson, the present landlord Neil Suddaby, is the 5th generation of the family in the hotel.
“The Crown Hotel next door had a very well-known lady for its tenant in Mrs. Leaper and at that time was a very exclusive hotel, for it was here that most of the principal business men of Malton foregathered almost nightly, when the affairs of the town (and nation) were discussed and arranged. Mrs. Suddabys succeeded Mrs. Leaper, and was much esteemed as a landlady. At her demise, her son William became licensee. He died quite recently, and now the management of the hotel is under one of his sons.”
from Memories of Malton and Some of its Inhabitants in the ‘Sixties and Onwards, by Thomas Baker, 1933